HEMSLEY + HEMSLEY | MACKEREL, SAMPHIRE & CARAMELISED LEMON | JUNE 2017
3 large fresh mackerel – ask your fishmonger to gut and clean
600g of samphire – roughly a handful per person
500g cherry tomatoes
Sea salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the barbecue or grill.
2. Rinse the samphire thoroughly, blanch in boiling water for 60 seconds. Rinse with cold water, drain well and leave to dry slightly.
3. Wash the mackerel inside and out and pat dry. Lightly score the mackerel skin 3 times on each side, and season with the lightest sprinkle of sea salt.
4. Cook on the barbecue or grill for 5-6 minutes each side, or until cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the tomatoes and lemons. Cut 1 lemon into ½ cm slices and grill both sides. Halve the rest of the lemons and place onto the barbecue for 5 minutes or until caramelised.
6. Add the tomatoes still on the vine – be careful not to overcook as they will collapse and fall through the barbecue rack!
7. Spread the samphire onto a serving plate, top with the mackerel and decorate with the lemon slices and tomatoes. Squeeze over the juice from a few of the lemon halves and keep the rest on the plate to serve.
This receipe was taken from HEMSLEY + HEMSLEY, The Art of Eating Well. For more recipe ideas, head to their website hemsleyandhemsley.com.